May 7, 2009

Muffins

"Take great pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress may be evident to all." 1 Timothy 4:15

Friday morning and afternoon I all alone at the house, working on various tasks and to do lists. The house was super quiet and the rain wasn't helping much. I wanted to be with people. But alas, no one was home. With my only mode of transportation being my legs, a change in the events of the day wasn't likely.
On top of all that, I had a craving for muffins. Muffins and coffee. Silly craving that wouldn't go away...

So I finally broke down and decided I was going to have a date with Jesus, my bible...and of course muffins and coffee.

My realization that I need to learn how to better use my camera before Uganda led to a documentation. :]


2 minutes into it...




6 minutes into it...




yum!


Don't worry, there is a point to all of this. :) So these funny little muffins had a lemony glaze to put on top after they were cooked...and as I was putting it on, as the glaze just poured out of the package, I realized that I could hit a lot of muffins--cover a lot of ground-- super fast! It was kinda fun, watching the glaze hit the muffin, coat it, and drip off... Mmm...

But then, when I tasted a muffin, I suddenly realized how amazing that glaze really was...and as a result, when it was time for muffin #2, I didn't want the muffins that had received their wee bit of glaze and looked lovely. I wanted a muffin that was DRENCHED in this stuff...and of course, when I finally found it, I pulled the glaze package out and began dousing my poor muffin in it.

I sat back down at the table and looked down at the passage that I had just read in 1 Timothy... enjoying my crumbly muffin. "Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress may be evident to all." Wait a second, this muffin event wasn't just about a sweet treat while I spent time in the word after all, was it? That's when it began to click...isn't that so like me and scripture?! I am so quick to glaze over it all and try to cover as much ground as possible...but when I taste the fruit of a life lived that way...I realize it's sweet, but kinda lacking. I realized that we only get the full FLAVOR of the Word when we stop moving and just soak in it.

How beautiful. Oh Lord, make me like a soggy muffin bursting with flavor!!!

1 comment:

  1. yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!

    i love it.

    and i love that Jesus speaks to you like He does to me. with random analogies (analogys?) i love it.

    you are special.

    ReplyDelete